The strawberry smith island cake recipe is a classic American cake that is perfect for any occasion. This cake is known for its light and moist texture and rich strawberry flavor.
The cake is covered in a tangy vanilla sauce sprinkled with powdered sugar. It has a buttery crumb and fluffy texture.
This recipe was named after Smith Island, Maryland. During the 19th century, Smith Island cake was among the most popular cakes in the Baltimore area and Chesapeake Bay region.
How to make Strawberry smith island cake recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Ingredients to make strawberry smith island cake recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 1 tsp almond essence/extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- A pinch of salt and vanilla essence/extract (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) or 180C (350F).
2. Grease the pan with butter.
3. When the oven is completely preheated, place parchment paper on your working surface. Also, grease this parchment paper with butter.
4. Mix the flour, sugar, and butter in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla-almond extract (if using) with a spatula or whisk.
6. Add 1 cup of batter to the bottom of your pan; smooth out so the batter is evenly distributed between all four layers.
7. Pour 1/3 cup of batter over the entire surface, and cover the top surfaces of your cake.
8. Place the second layer of batter on top by spreading a thin layer over the first layer.
9. Spread another 1/3 cup of batter over the entire surface, smoothing it out with a flat spatula or offset spatula to avoid leaving any holes in your cake layers.
10. Add another 1/3 cup of batter and spread it evenly over the top. Place a final layer of batter on top.
11. Smooth the top of your cake with a spatula or offset spatula to ensure the batter is evenly distributed over the entire surface.
12. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of powdered sugar over the entire surface of your cake, again being sure to cover all surfaces and edges.
13. Bake in your 350F (175C) oven for 30 minutes, turn off the heat, and let your cake cool completely in its pan on a rack before removing it.
14. After completely cooling the cake, remove it from the pan and slide a knife underneath the parchment paper to loosen it.
15. Place on your serving dish and frost with a buttercream frosting.
16. Decorate with fresh sliced strawberries or blueberries or whatever you desire.
1. Mix flour and butter with a small whisk until it becomes pale in colour.
2. Add milk gradually into the mixture while beating. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
3. Add salt and vanilla essence/extract and remove from heat.
Strawberry smith island cake recipe. Yummy!!!
This cake comprises four layers of yellow cake with strawberry jam in the middle and a creamy white vanilla sauce on top. The cake is topped with fresh sliced strawberries or blueberries baked just before serving the cake.
Nutrition Facts of Strawberry smith island cake recipe
- Calories: 583
- Sodium: 172 mg
- Fat: 34 g
- Saturated Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Sugar: 56 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 76 mg
7 Amazing Health Benefits of Strawberry smith island cake recipe
Strawberry Smith Island cake comprises four layers of yellow cake with strawberry jam in the middle and a creamy white vanilla sauce on top.
The cake is topped with fresh sliced strawberries or blueberries baked just before serving the cake.
1. It supplies protein and carbohydrates, which help your body recover faster after strenuous exercise.
2. It helps in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
3. It provides fiber to improve digestion and colon health, thus preventing cancerous growth.
4. It improves your mood and energy levels.
5. It is a good vitamin E source, which helps prevent vision loss.
6. Strawberry smith island cake recipe regulates your appetite by making you feel full longer and reducing your food cravings.
7. It is one of the best cakes for people suffering from Type II Diabetes Insulin Resistance or pre-diabetes, which causes high blood sugar levels when you eat foods rich in sugars like cakes, pastries, and soda.
Can I Freeze the Strawberry smith island cake recipe?
Yes, you surely can! Just wrap it with food-grade plastic, cover it with foil, and freeze it in a freezer bag. When you are ready to serve it, unwrap the cake and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Before serving, top the cake with fresh strawberries or any bean you like.
Is the Strawberry smith island cake recipe good for everybody?
The strawberry cake is not recommended for people suffering from allergies, gluten sensitivity, and wheat intolerance.
It is also not recommended for people suffering from high cholesterol levels, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.
It is also not good for people on weight loss programs or who want to lose weight since it provides protein and carbohydrates, which can slow down the process of weight loss.
So, here you go with the recipe for a simple but delightful cake that can be served as a dessert for your family or friends.
The strawberry smith island cake recipe is simple, delightful, and quick to make. It is best served with a cup of tea or coffee.
Strawberry Smith Island Cake is a slice of heaven on earth. I hope you enjoyed the recipe. If you have any suggestions or corrections, please leave a comment below.
Hi, I’m Mary, and I’m a cake maker here at Cakerecipenow.com blog. With a passion for all things sweet and a flair for creativity in the kitchen, I spent 5 years perfecting the art of cake making and decorating. Over the years, I’ve honed my skills through countless baking experiments, and I’m excited to share my knowledge and experience with you.
I love trying new recipes, especially when they’re delicious, I love them so much… hope you like them! Thanks for the time!