Ash cake recipe are a traditional dish in southern U.S. cuisine. Mainly served during Thanksgiving and Christmas, they can be used as an alternative to cornbread or potato bread. The recipe is easy to prepare, although the preparation can be long.
This is a great cake recipe to make for any occasion. Ash is one of the catch-all terms for all the fine particles leftover from times at the beach or campfire, but in this case, it’s being used as a long-lasting binder.
How to make an Ash cake recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients For Ash Cake Recipe:
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons butter, cubed
- 1 egg white
- Water for boiling the ash cake mixture.
- Salt for sprinkling on ash cake mixture.
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
- 1 teaspoon vinegar.
- 3-4 tablespoons melted butter.
Optional ingredients: good quality honey or molasses.
Instructions For Ash Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Mix baking powder, flour, and salt in a large bowl.
Step 2: In another bowl, mix all the other ingredients.
Step 3: Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix well until it forms a dough. The dough should be soft but still, hold shape.
If the dough is too dry, add two tablespoons of water, or if too wet, add two tablespoons of flour
Step 4: Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
Step 5: Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten it into cakes about half an inch thick.
Step 6: Grease the skillet and heat it to medium.
Step 7: Place each cake on the grill and cook over medium-low heat for about five minutes on one side or until golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side until golden brown
Step 8: Let cool for a minute before serving.
Advanced Ash cake recipe: For a fantastic taste, try making a natural 2-3 hours of ash bread that bakes in ashes
Make bread according to the recipe and add small pieces of ash before putting it in the oven.
1. This recipe is good for a variety of dishes. For example, add chopped onions and mashed garlic cloves to fillings for sandwiches, add onions and minced garlic to gravies and soups, and use in baking bread or muffins.
2. Another way to use this recipe is by making ash cakes (pancakes) from the dough, forming them into cakes, coating them in beaten egg, and placing them on a greased griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add butter and honey or molasses to taste when done.
3. The ashes should be at room temperature before using them in the recipe. If you have too many ashes for this recipe, freeze the excess until you need to use it.
4. Make sure the ashes are dry and without any moisture before mixing them with flour.
5. If you don’t have time for this process, add an ash mixture to the dough for taste and color (three tablespoons for every cup of flour).
Nutrition Facts Of Ash Cake Recipe
5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Ash Cake Recipe
1. Ash Cake Recipe Is A Great Source Of Nutrients:
Ash cake recipe has a balanced intake of carbohydrates and proteins.
According to dietitians, the proportion of 16% carbohydrates, 65% protein, and 19% fat helps stabilize your body’s blood glucose levels by providing a slow release into the bloodstream.
2. Formation of Strengthened Bones:
The ash content in ash cakes is high in calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which are essential for forming healthy bones.
3. Low Cholesterol:
Potassium in the ash cake recipe helps the body eliminate fat and lower cholesterol levels.
4. A Source of Antioxidants:
Ash contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties, which help fight against cancer-causing cells such as tumor cells, free radicals, and harmful bacteria.
5. Ash Cakes Are An Ideal Source Of Fiber:
Fiber is an important energy source for your body, and ash cakes contain important compounds essential for your body.
It also prevents constipation, lowers cholesterol levels, and protects against colon cancer.
What to do with leftover ash cake?
You can use the ashes to put in bread, cornbreads, pancakes, and other baked products.
For this purpose, you may also make your own ‘ash’ by roasting the ashes in a hot skillet on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
We have used our ash as a source of taste for a great number of recipes that we have shared here, and you will love them.
Ash cake recipe makes a delicious addition to any meal or event. They are perfect as a side dish.
Ash cake recipe is also said to have healing powers and is good for treating the common cold, flu, and other respiratory problems.
A pinch of ash powder in water also makes a great gargle for sore throats, tonsilitis, and mouth ulcers.
I hope you have learned a lot from this ash cake recipe. Do not forget to share your feedback and other suggestions with us!
What is Ash cake made of?
Ash cake is made from ash and other dry ingredients.
Can I substitute Anything for Ash in ash cake?
Yes, you can replace the ashes with baking soda. It won’t be a true ash cake recipe, but it will still be full of flavor and nutrients.
Is ash healthy?
Yes, No doubt about it. Ash is a great source of calcium and nutrients to build strong bones and teeth.
What is the meaning of ash cake?
Ash is the powder that remains when something is burnt.
How to make ash cake without ash?
You can make it with baking soda. It won’t be the same as the original, but it tastes great.
Is ash good for you?
Yes, ash is a good source of calcium and other nutrients to build strong bones and teeth. It also makes a great general detox for your body since it has anti-inflammatory properties.