Welcome to the culinary adventure! Here’s a classic traditional Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe from Guyana that makes for an extraordinary dessert. You can make this sponge cake from scratch or use a store-bought packet of vanilla pudding mix.
This is one of the recipes our grandmothers used to make as part of their repertoire in our home country, Guyana.
It’s also a recipe we use in my family when we have family parties around the holidays. It is a traditional cake passed down through generations, and we have been using it for years.
We can never get enough of this Guyanese sponge cake recipe, so you should try it out too.
The secret to the delicious yellow color of this cake is turmeric powder. It gives the cake a beautiful orange appearance, and the spices make it really moist and sweet.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week and taste delicious as a snack with a glass of milk.
How to prepare a Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Ingredients for Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, fresh
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond essence optional
- Pinch of salt, optional, and to taste
- 1 teaspoon rum optional
Instructions for Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Butter and flour in a 9-inch round cake pan. Grease pan with baking spray.
2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl, about 5 minutes.
3. Then, beat in eggs one at a time, followed by the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla essence; stir in 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and almond essence or extract; stir in salt (if using) and rum (if using). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.
5. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it, then gently turn it onto the rack.
6. Let cool completely before slicing to serve with tea or coffee.
– If you don’t have almond essence, substitute with extra vanilla essence as needed.
– Turmeric is a yellow spice that makes the cake orange in color. The turmeric also gives it a delicious nutty flavor and aroma. You can find it in Indian stores or use this easy way to make it at home by grinding together ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp sugar.
Nutrition Facts of Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Total Carbs||43 g|
5 Amazing Health Benefits of Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe
1. Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe is loaded with protein and nutrients.
2. It makes for a healthy and nutritious snack high in essential nutrients such as iron, calcium, folate, phosphorus, zinc, and vitamins A, C, and B12.
3. Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe can help to prevent diseases like cancer, respiratory problems, and diabetes.
4. It is rich in antioxidants, and the spices are natural anti-inflammatory agents that can help to reduce pain from arthritis and improve digestion.
5. It has been used as an alternative treatment for gout by patients prescribed medications for gout, including uric acid, which was causing them side effects.
6. It is low in saturated fat but high in unsaturated fat and makes for a great alternative to other high-calorie desserts.
7. Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe is loaded with calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus, which help to strengthen your bones and prevent diseases like osteoporosis and kidney stones.
What makes the cake fluffy and spongy?
The butter gives the cake a spongy texture and a rich flavor. Butter is also used to leaven bread and make it rise, so it works quite well with cakes.
And for a healthier Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe, you can use all unsalted butter instead of margarine or shortening.
Is Pound Cake the same as sponge cake?
Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe also called pound cakes, has a moist and dense texture resulting from using a pound of butter, flour, and sugar.
This cake is used to celebrate birthdays and special events and is also the perfect dessert for any holiday. It can be served with tea, coffee, or even a glass of milk.
How does the Guyanese Christmas Sponge cake recipe taste?
Many people say that it tastes like a pound cake, which is quite a compliment because pound cakes are often very moist and rich in flavor. It is a bit denser than traditional cakes and not too sweet.
It’s best to leave the sponge cake out of the fridge overnight before serving to allow it to reach room temperature.
Is the Guyanese Sponge Cake Recipe good for everybody?
Absolutely! It has a lot of health benefits, and anyone can enjoy this delicious cake.
The top layer of the cake is normally sprinkled with icing sugar, while the sides are covered in fluffy and creamy whipped cream.
If you love chocolate cake, there is a Guyanese Chocolate Cake Recipe that you can try out too. It is rich in chocolate flavor, so that you will enjoy it.
Enjoy this Guyana’s traditional recipe. This is a great cake for birthday parties or family celebrations, especially during Christmas and Pwecuwa. Be sure to share it with your friends and family. Happy Cooking!
Hi, I’m Mary, and I’m a cake maker here at Cakerecipenow.com blog. With a passion for all things sweet and a flair for creativity in the kitchen, I spent 5 years perfecting the art of cake making and decorating. Over the years, I’ve honed my skills through countless baking experiments, and I’m excited to share my knowledge and experience with you.
I love trying new recipes, especially when they’re delicious, I love them so much… hope you like them! Thanks for the time!