Boudin king cake recipe is one of the most famous Louisiana Cajun recipes. It is also referred to as king cake, which comes from its round shape, with a core and a crowning point.
This King Cake was traditionally made in one style with a yeast dough that has been boiled in lard for two hours before rolling it out and filling it with fruit or other fillings.
The cake is often frosted with royal icing and sprinkled with coarse or powdered sugar before the filling is added.
How to make a Boudin king cake recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Ingredients for Boudin king cake recipe:
- ½ cup red pepper jelly, such as Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound boudin links
- 1 (8-ounce) package pepper jack cheese, cut into planks
- 2 (8-ounce) cans of Pillsbury Crescent dough sheets or French bread sheets, 1 sheet per can
- 1 large egg, beaten, for brushing
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- ½ cup diced green onion tops
Instructions for Boudin king cake recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook the boudin in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy on both sides, often turning, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool; chop into ½-inch pieces.
3. In a small bowl, stir the jelly and water until blended. Set aside ¼ cup of the mixture to brush on top of the king cake later; reserve the remaining mixture for another use or discard it if not used immediately.
4. Place the 1 sheet of dough in the can and top with the second sheet. Close securely and label with the name of the can. Place both cans in a large saucepan, cover, and let stand for 25 minutes or until nearly double.
5. Uncover the cans; if necessary, use kitchen shears to cut one side of the seam and then pull them apart to separate them. Open each can, remove the top cookie sheets, and discard them in the trash.
6. Open the second cookie dough sheet and cut it into two equal rectangles for each can. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
7. Remove the first dough rectangle from the refrigerator, place it between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, and pound with a rolling pin or a meat mallet until ¼ inch thick. Repeat with the remaining dough rectangle, cover as you work, then refrigerate until ready to assemble the cake (about 20 minutes).
8. Spread the reserved red pepper jelly on the bottom half of each rectangle. Top with the remaining cheese, then with boudin and bacon. Using a spatula, top each rectangle with the remaining dough rectangles; press edges together to seal.
9. Place both rectangles on top of a baking sheet and brush tops lightly with egg mixture; sprinkle generously with salt and sugar.
10. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. For the best flavor and texture, serve warm.
When making a king cake, great care should be taken to avoid cross-contamination of the dough or filling. Always shower and change clothes before working with dough or filling.
A small bowl of ice water is handy for cleaning hands, which prevents the spread of germs that might weaken the dough or other ingredients. Alternatively, wipe your hands with disposable plastic bags and clean them with antibacterial wipes.
Nutrition Facts of Boudin king cake recipe
|Calories from fat
5 Perfect Servings Idea for Boudin king cake recipe
1. Perfect Boudin king cake recipe to snack on by bringing to work and enjoying coffee.
2. Boudin king cake is perfect for serving at a birthday party.
3. Great way to use leftovers, which are always the best!
4. Boudin king cake recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch because it’s light, fluffy, and not too sweet.
5. Boudin king cake will make you feel like you’re in Louisiana.
Is the Boudin king cake recipe healthy?
This Boudin king cake recipe is not only very delicious but also very healthy. The ratio of fat to protein is perfect, and the amount of carbohydrates is lower than that of most commercial chicken cakes, which are a popular breakfast food.
The recipe and nutrition facts are rounded up to five servings because it’s healthier to enjoy a little more than five.
What is the crawfish boudin king cake recipe?
Crawfish King Cake is a famous king cake served at the New Orleans’ annual Mardi Gras Festival. It is similar to the Boudin king cake recipe.
It is made of a yeast dough that has been boiled in lard for two hours before rolling it out and filling it with different forms of crawfish, potato, and corn.
Where can I get Boudin king cake near me?
Boudin king cake recipe is available at most supermarkets and many specialty food stores. In the United States and Canada, they can be purchased online at Louisiana.com.
You can also see it: 7 places to get your boudin king cake
What’s the ideal time to prepare Boudin king cake?
The ideal time to prepare Boudin king cake is a flavorful and crispy snack for the entire family. The best way to make it is when the weather outside is good, and the kids are home from school for a well-deserved treat.
This Boudin king cake recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. The sheet cake’s fresh buttery flavor is a great contrast to the smokey spice of the boudin and bacon topping.
Kids will love it, too! It’s not officially Mardi Gras until you have a Boudin King Cake in your hand.
Boudin king cake recipe is easier to prepare than most other recipes because it doesn’t require time-consuming proofing or rising.
I hope you enjoyed our boudin king cake recipe. Please post your comments below, and feel free to share this page with friends.
Hi, I’m Mary, and I’m a cake maker here at Cakerecipenow.com blog. With a passion for all things sweet and a flair for creativity in the kitchen, I spent 5 years perfecting the art of cake making and decorating. Over the years, I’ve honed my skills through countless baking experiments, and I’m excited to share my knowledge and experience with you.
I love trying new recipes, especially when they’re delicious, I love them so much… hope you like them! Thanks for the time!