The banana depression cake recipe is a really easy cake that is chewy, sweet, and flavored with banana. This dessert is perfect for when you’re in the mood for something quick, satisfying, and flavorful. Everyone loves it!
This cake is also perfect for making in advance and freezing. I have done it many times and have had no problems removing it from the freezer.
This recipe is very forgiving, so you can use whatever ingredients are on hand in the pantry. Substitute nuts for chocolate chips and enjoy the cake for different occasions. Although this cake looks lovely and decadent, it’s actually low in calories since there’s only a small amount of butter.
The banana depression cake recipe is delicious and easy to do. This recipe is a keeper and comes highly recommended by me.
Try this recipe with other fruits like apples, peaches, or berries. I personally really like the banana version.
How to make a Banana depression cake recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Baking/Moulding Time: 50 mins
Total Cooking Time: 1 hour and 05 minutes
Servings: 8-10 slices
Ingredients to make banana depression cake recipe:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas,
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or similar spices (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
Instructions to make banana depression cake recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 c (350 f)
2. In a big mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale yellow.
3. Prepare three mixing bowls by adding beaten eggs separately. Set aside.
4. Mash bananas and add them to the creamed butter mixture. Stir in all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt) except chocolate chips and mix until combined.
5. Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture, mixing just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
6. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9*11 inch baking tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin.
8. Once cooled, place the cake on a plate at room temperature, cover it with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight (at least 8 hours). Freeze until solid.
9. To serve, unwrap the cake from the freezer, remove it from the tin and leave it on a cutting board or serving platter. Slice into 8-10 pieces with a sharp knife.
Nutrition Facts of Banana depression cake recipe
|Total Fat||11.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
5 Amazing Health Benefits of Banana depression cake recipe
1. Improve skin and hair:
Banana is a great source of beauty products. It contains a slew of nutrients crucial to skin and hair health.
It improves skin complexion, increases collagen production, and helps stimulate iron uptake in the body. This recipe is best served as a dessert, but you can also use it to wash your face and hair, which is excellent since it’s very moisturizing.
2. Boosts metabolism:
Banana contains tryptophan, an amino acid that your body converts into serotonin. This happy hormone increases your mood and helps reduce your appetite. It also boosts your metabolism, which helps you burn more calories.
3. Provides a good dose of potassium:
Bananas contain around 400 mg of potassium per medium-sized fruit. Potassium is one of our body’s most important electrolytes and is vital for muscle contraction. It helps maintain blood pressure and boost energy levels because it releases sugar into the bloodstream and maintains proper nerve and muscle function.
4. Boosts heart health:
Banana is rich in minerals like potassium and magnesium, which are two important nutrients related to heart health.
Potassium helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels and prevents arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat. Magnesium relaxes blood vessels and helps prevent high blood pressure, which could lead to a stroke or heart attack.
5. Bananas boost iron levels in the body:
Bananas are a great source of iron, which is very important for pregnant women. Iron is needed to make hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to all body parts. Pregnant women need more iron to produce extra blood and provide enough oxygen to the baby and themselves.
Can I Freeze the Banana depression cake recipe?
Yes, bananas can be frozen, but it must be done in small batches. The texture will change when you use frozen bananas, but it is still delicious, and you can’t tell the difference. You can freeze bananas for up to two months. Just wrap them in baking paper and store them in a freezer bag to freeze them.
Is the Banana depression cake recipe suitable for spectators?
Yes, this cake is suitable for just about everyone because it is really easy to make, only takes a few minutes, and doesn’t take much time before serving. Anyone can make this dessert.
You can also freeze the cake in an airtight container to last longer. It keeps well on the fridge and freezes really well too. You can quickly thaw banana depression cakes and enjoy them any time of the day.
Does Sara Lee still make banana cake?
No, this is an old American-style cake. Sara Lee no longer sells this cake as Baker’s Company Inc now owns it, better known for its cupcakes and cakes like 23 cups, Peanut butter cheesecake with chocolate cupcakes, and many more.
The recipe can be easily found online, and you can always make your own marzipan or marzipan of your choice. Adding some sweet cream cheese to the mix will taste even better.
I hope you like the banana depression cake recipe and you will enjoy making it. I love this cake and make it once in a long while. The recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead, so there is no time to spare when serving it. This easy banana recipe can have breakfast, dessert, or even a snack.
I hope you enjoy this Banana depression cake recipe and please leave your comments and star rating if you like the recipe.